We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The most important museum in Naples, which has become widely known in Italy, is Capodimonte Museum and Gallery. In addition, the museum has one of the largest collections of paintings by Titian Vecellio.
Rod Farnese has existed since the 13th century, but the first historical mention of it appeared when Alessandro Farnese put on the papal tiara. He went down in history as Paul III. The whole family of Farnese now healed differently, in addition, the pope put his relatives in very significant positions. The 14-year-old grandson of Pope Alessandro, who was already a cardinal at that time, was fond of art and painting, as was his grandfather. Since the young man had no problems with finances, he spent most of his money on paintings and other works of art. Nevertheless, Paul III acquired the most significant painting, The Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel.
Paul III subsequently ordered many more paintings from Michelangelo, but his grandson did not want to lag behind him. So Giorgio Vasari commissioned Alessandro wrote "Biography". The young man wanted to succeed everywhere, so even some architectural projects could not be completed without the participation of Alessandro.
In 1543, at the invitation of Paul III, Titian arrived in Bologna to create a portrait of the pope. Everyone liked the picture, and two years later Titian painted the whole Farnese family in Rome. With him to Rome, the artist brought his famous painting "Danae", which was ordered from him by the already matured Alessandro. Titian was in Rome for a long time, but still he did not begin a series of portraits of the Farnese family. After some time, Titian ended up in Piacenza, where he painted a portrait of the son of Paul III - Luigi Farnese. The collection of portraits was very impressive.
In 1715, at random, the entire collection of paintings collected by the Farnese family turned out to be in Philip V, who married Elizabeth Farnese. Their son Karl was very careful about works of art, and in 1737 began the construction of the palace, especially for the storage of the collection. This palace was named Capodimonte (which is translated from Italian as “on the top of the mountain"). The construction of the palace was delayed, and lasted more than 100 years, so the paintings were temporarily placed in the Royal Museum. Time passed, and in 1860 Naples ceased to be an independent state, in connection with the unification of Italy. The changes also affected the Royal Museum - now it became known as the National Museum.
After the end of World War II, it was closed for reconstruction, and all the exhibits were transferred to the Capodimonte Palace, which later became known as National Museum and Gallery Capodimonte. For the first time, the doors of this museum were opened to visitors on May 5, 1957.